Monday 12 January 2015

Moffat targeting points in 2015


Laser Tools Racing driver Aiden Moffat is setting his sights high in the 2015 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship, after unveiling the team's brand new Mercedes A Class at the Autosport Show this weekend.

The 18-year-old will compete in his second full season in the BTCC this year, and is confident that he and the team can take big steps forward after a difficult campaign last season with the Chevrolet Cruze:

"I think 2015 will be an interesting year for us all at Laser Tools Racing; the car we've got this year seems to be a lot better than the Chevrolet and feels more suited to me personally as a driver. I've got a year under my belt now, the team's got a bit of experience and we're now in a proven car so I think we can do well this year.

"I'm hoping that we're going to get a lot further up the grid this year. Initially I'd like us to be in the top 10 frequently, we were knocking on the door by the end of last season and the car still didn't feel quite right and we always struggled to get the right set up. I think for this season, bearing in mind that we're in a proven car and we've got experience, we should be able to achieve top 10 finishes and hopefully by the end of the year we can maybe even get one top five. It's a tall order but I think if we went out and set a target of getting in the top 15 it'd be a waste of time as it's something we've already done; if we don't push ourselves we're never going to progress and other teams will catch up to us".

Despite being the youngest ever driver to compete in the BTCC, Moffat admits that he doesn't feel any pressure due to his age:

"If I'm the youngest, I've got more years to try and get up there in the championship while for some of the other drivers they're on the other end of the scale so they'll probably feel more pressure to achieve what they want to achieve soon. For me I've got so long ahead of me and already I'm not at the back of the grid, I'm moving forward and we've proved that, despite my age, we do deserve to be here so I don't really feel any pressure".     

The key for Moffat and the Laser Tool Racing team now is getting as much testing done in the car as possible before the 2015 season launch at Donington Park on March 24th.

Written and interviewed by Alan Faulkner
Photo Credit: Alan Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment