Tuesday 10 June 2014

Mealin bounces back at Oulton Park

Falcon Motorsport's Chris Mealin returned to racing at Oulton Park this weekend in the Formula Ford championship in style, finishing on the podium in all three races in the Scholarship class, and also claiming his maiden overall podium in round 11, finishing third and also taking his second Scholarship win so far this season.

The Manx man, who raced at Oulton Park for the first time this weekend, was hoping for strong results after a huge accident at Thruxton five weeks ago had hampered his progress in the championship, and Chris was clearly delighted with how the weekend had gone after I talked to him at the end of the weekend.

"Saturday was brilliant to be honest, a great comeback after Thruxton, I have to say a huge thank you to Falcon for giving me a great car and putting it back where it’s meant to be. Today (Sunday) was interesting, I had a good feeling this morning and I just tried to keep as calm as I could all morning really and not rush around or get too panicky about anything. When the start came we weren't too sure what the weather was going to be like because suddenly before we left parc ferme they came on the radio and told us that there was rain at the back of the circuit, but thankfully it stayed off and I just had to bring her home. I didn't know what place I was to be honest, I had brake failure most of the race. The safety car played into my hands a little bit, and I knew my chance for Richardson was going to be at the hairpin and I just lunged it up the inside, it was a good move".

Chris was also ecstatic with claiming his maiden overall podium finish, adding: "At the start of the year we set the goal of getting an overall podium before the summer break and we've been able to achieve that. That was the main aim for this year after the scholarship and I'm just so happy to be honest, now we've just got to keep this momentum up onto Croft and then have a good summer break so that we can come back stronger in the second half of the season".


Reflecting on the weekend, Chris was impressed with his home circuit of Oulton Park. "I've loved it, it’s a lovely circuit" he told me, before adding "it's a challenging course, especially Druids the double right and there’s a few interesting corners here and there but it’s been a good day. The weather didn't hold out for us unfortunately in the first race but thankfully it held out for us, literally just, in this last race. It’s a great circuit and I’d love to come back here in the future and race again for sure".


Looking ahead to the next rounds at Croft in three weeks time, Chris is hoping for similar results to come his way. "I want to try and get an overall podium and win the scholarship again, they’re our main aims. The main thing as I said before is just to keep the momentum building into the summer break so that we can go into it on a high and we just try and test and have that good feeling that we left and take it on into the second half"


Photo credit: Alan Faulkner





No comments:

Post a Comment