Monday 1 July 2013

Team HARD lose Cole

Well I was only saying yesterday that the BTCC is full of surprises, and I don't think anyone was expecting this - James Cole leaving Team HARD with immediate effect.

In all fairness, I think that Tony Gilham's decision to run four cars in only the teams second season was a bit ambitious, but was prepared to be proven wrong and see them progress well, especially with the likes of Tom Onslow-Cole and Jack Goff on board.

It is a shame to lose James, I thought he was doing fairly well in his debut season, which was even more challenging with him driving one of the new NGTC Vauxhall Insignia's that, again, have not lived up to their full potential as of yet. Despite that, he has done well to overcome some of the numerous mechanical issues his car has suffered to at least finish in the middle of the pack, which is where everyone would expect the car to be.

I also thought that James was with the right team in Tony Gilham's squad - particularly when you look at the work that the team have put into the VW Cup and the success they've gained from there. They have some very talented young drivers, and Tony's experience has helped them be successful, particularly when you look at Howard Fuller and Aaron Williamson, and in my opinion, I thought he would have fitted in perfectly. But according to him, he has said that he is looking for new partners who "share the same vision as him", which suggests that he was uncomfortable at Team HARD.

All I can say is that I hope to see him back in the championship as soon as possible, and hope that the team can find a talented replacement and continue their progress to the front of the BTCC grid.

Photo credit: Phil Laughton Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment